The Wireless Broadband Alliance’s first event of 2020, the Asia Telecom Summit, took place last week in Singapore. Attendees were treated to a number of presentations from top companies and organizations from across the industry, with key focuses placed on Wi-Fi 6, RAN Convergence (5G & Wi-Fi), Smart City/State deployments, and more. Here’s a look back at some of the highlights from the event:
- WBA CEO Tiago Rodrigues kicked off the event with a warm welcome to all attendees. He discussed the record year that our organization had in 2019 (which included record numbers for the number of projects completed, as well as media views), looked ahead to our 2020 Wireless Global Congress events in Chicago and Barcelona, and laid out the blueprint for what lies ahead in the rest of the year for the WBA and its members.
- Wee-Sain Koh, Director of IMDA Singapore, presented on the potential of Wi-Fi 6 in the 5G era, and how this convergence can play a role in the country’s infrastructure. Singapore.sg was a pioneering innovation and exciting developments are expected moving forward with further work between WBA and IMDA.
- GlobalReach Technology’s CCO Simon Vaughan outlined a Next Generation Hotspot (NGH) use case in Malaysia’s most populous state, Selangor. Using GlobalReach’s Odyssys as the back-end platform, Selangor aims to be recognized as the premier regional Smart State in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) by 2025, with an overall objective to bridge the state’s digital divide via free Wi-Fi.
- Boingo Wireless VP of Engineering Strategy Kishore Raja discussed how convergence in the 5G era will be instrumental to the company – and the wider industry, particularly in venues, the military and other large-scale deployments.
- How can IoT devices and deployments optimize Wi-Fi opportunities? Jonas Björklund, CTO of Aptilo Networks, explained how the company’s ‘Zero-Touch’ solution can be used to improve Wi-Fi IoT in property management, healthcare, security services and more.
In addition to these great presentations, workgroup chairs for WBA’s programs and projects outlined the statuses of their respective areas, as well as the expected outcomes and deliverables for 2020. Interested in getting involved? Click here to learn more about WBA’s various workgroups and how you can participate.
Don’t miss WBA’s upcoming events in 2020 – WGC Chicago in June, and WGC Barcelona in October! Be sure to visit the event website for full details, and join our mailing list to receive regular updates on speakers, topics/themes, and much more.