SMARTSEL, Dune Global & Global Reach Alliance to Deploy Smart City Network
Barcelona, 19 November 2019 – A new public Wi-Fi service is set to launch in Selangor following an alliance between SMARTSEL Sdn Bhd (SMARTSEL), a telecommunications infrastructure services company that is wholly-owned by Selangor’s strategic investment arm MBI Selangor, Global Reach Technology EMEA Ltd. (GLOBALREACH) and Dune Global Sdn Bhd (DUNE GLOBAL). The network will enable smart city services and IoT connectivity to modernise and transform public utilities, transport and communications.
Built on the Global Reach Wi-Fi platform, users will have secure login to the public Wi-Fi service using Hotspot 2.0 universal single sign-on. Users can choose to download a profile to their mobile device, giving them the benefit of automatic, seamless and secure login whenever they are inrange of the service. Alongside public access, the new network will be developed to allow mobile operators to make roaming agreements that expand their coverage estates and offload traffic.
The agreement also sees the creation of an Asian center of expertise (COE) in Selangor, which aims to co-develop new and innovative Wi-Fi technologies for public access and other smart city services especially in the area of IOT.
This service will improve Selangor’s position in the region as a leading Smart City. Drive and support economic growth in the region improve collaboration and connectivity for its regions and citizens
The MOA was signed at the 2019 Smart City Expo World Congress (SCEWC) at the Selangor Pavillion, Fira Barcelona Gran Via, Barcelona by SMARTSEL’s Managing Director, Mr. Mohamad Suhaimi Tahir, GLOBALREACH’s Chief Commercial Officer, Mr Simon Vaughan and DUNE GLOBAL’s CEO, Ms. Sheila AR, witnessed by the Selangor’s Chief Minister, Right Honorable Amirudin Shari, who is also the Chairman of MBI Selangor.
- SMARTSEL SDN BHD, a 100% subsidiary of MBI Selangor is currently managing the state’s free public Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi Smart Selangor), servicing more than 3,600 locations in the state of Selangor
- GLOBAL REACH TECHNOLOGY delivers Wi-Fi services and solutions for some of the world’s largest and most complex Wi-Fi services. Our technology supports millions of weekly sessions and is used by carriers and service providers for their enterprise customers in London, New York and other major cities, on railways, planes, coffee chains, hotels and small businesses. Recognised as a Hotspot 2.0 Wi-Fi industry leader, the Global Reach Hotspot 2.0 OSU has delivered secure authentication for some of the largest international Hotspot 2.0 services since 2014, including 1,700 LinkNYC kiosks deployed across Manhattan enabling up to 20 million Hotspot 2.0 sessions per week authenticated in 2018.
- More information at https://www.globalreachtech.com
- DUNE GLOBAL is a young Malaysian company specializing in Software Defined Networks, Analytics systems and network software development. Dune is GLOBALREACH’s Distribution & Services Partner for Asia responsible for the delivery of the platform and services within Asia Pacific. More information at https://www.duneglobal.com
- MBI Selangor is the strategic investment arm of the Selangor government, focusing on strategic growth sectors of Selangor such as Water Management, Waste Management, Property Development, IT & Telecommunications, River Rehabilitation and Development, Mining, Education and Affordable Housing.